[Sca-cooks] Pictures from my Illusion Feast

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 18 02:03:56 PST 2004

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> What is the Crab made of?  [With my luck, it's a real crab. <g>]
>
> Selene

The crab was supposed to be made entirely of sugar paste surrounding a
styrofoam bowl to hold the compost ("sweet & sour crab stuffed back into it's
own shell", actually sweet pickled carrots and pears).  Although sugar paste
is capable of holding liquids for a while, I didn't think pickle juice would
be the best thing to subject it to :-)

It would have worked, but the logistics of transporting that many spindly
little crab legs without breakeage scared me, so we compromised with making
the bottoms out of paper mache wrapped around a styrofoam bowl, and the top
shells out of sugar paste, which we transported seperately.

I loved the way the compost turned out, that's one recipe I'll definitely be
doing again - even if it's just for me!