[Sca-cooks] Scottish Eggs revisited

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Wed Feb 18 09:08:58 PST 2004

Beathog asked:

I made Scottish Eggs, for the first time, last week for Estrella War.  They
were very well received and very convenient, as they are a nice food to prepare
ahead and pack in the cooler.  However, the sausage coating on the egg had a
tendency to crack, and I realized the subject had been discussed on this list
in the past.  I don't recall the preferred remedy.  Was it baking them rather
than frying, or was it, perhaps, freezing them a bit first?
<<<<
I think there were several remedies for this offered. One was making the sausage layer thinner, I believe. While baking instead of frying was mentioned, I think the reason for this was to reduce the grease rather than eliminate cracking.

This file in the FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium has much of those previous discussions.
Scotch-Eggs-msg   (17K)  3/21/01    Fried sausage-wrapped hard-boiled eggs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Scotch-Eggs-msg.html

Stefan