[Sca-cooks] More on Beets and Beet Roots

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 11:18:18 PST 2004

My experience with beet leaves - which i think are delicious - is
that they are tangy, not sweet. Cooked beet roots tend to be sweet to
some extent. So where the text talks about the sweetness of a
particular beet plant part, i would interpret the text to mean the
root.

Also that part about being cooked under hot embers, well, you could
put beet leaves in a pan and put embers on top of the lid, but i know
one can roast beet roots in the coals, so again i interpret that part
to refer to beet roots.

I've only cooked the roots and the leaves of red beets (although i
have eaten golden beet roots), but while the beet leaves are green,
the stalks and veins of the leaves are quite colorfully red. I don't
know if the stalks and veins are different colors for plants with
black or white beet roots. Chard comes in different varieties, some
with white stalks and some with red stalks, so i don't see why this
couldn't be possible for beets. However, i plead ignorance, as i have
not seen black beets.

Anahita