[Sca-cooks] Damascus Question

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Wed Feb 18 21:46:38 PST 2004

A couple of points:

1. Quibble. "Damascus" actually describes two quite different
technologies (wootz and mechanical damascus), only one of which fits
your description.

2. Buying stuff. Elizabeth has long complained that almost all knives
sold in the SCA are weapons, not tools. One particular sort of knife
I am familiar with and essentially never see in the society is an
indo-persian knife called a kard. The small ones are basically
eating/utility knives, the large ones eating/cooking/weapon, with
some but not all pretty obviously intended as weapons. They are not
uncommonly of damascus steel--I have a couple (antiques) that are.

I'm not good at describing objects, but if you have access to Stone's
Glossary or some other good reference work you can find pictures. I
think it would be nice to have someone making and selling damascus
kards in the SCA--and the small ones, with 3"-5" blades, you should
be able to get down to a price close to the period eating knives out
of the Museum of London book that a few people make and sell in the
SCA.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/