[Sca-cooks] Source information for the make-up of removes?

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sat Feb 21 09:45:25 PST 2004

At 09:13 AM 2/21/2004, you wrote:

>2. While it is true that medieval medical theory put a heavy emphasis on
>diet, I don't think that explains a lot about the makeup of a course. For
>one thing, a feast would be served to lots of people--with different
>imbalances of humors and so different dietary needs based on medieval
>medical theory.

You know, I have thought about this off and on, and I'm beginning to think
it is not unlike today- the various diet and medical authorities have lost
of wonderful theories, and many of them are very like the humoral theories.
It is entirely possible that medieval folk actually *practiced* their
medical theories about as well as any of us actually eat our recommended
diet. How many of us actually follow the food pyramid? Or follow out Atkins
plan perfectly without cheating?

Nah- I think they were like us, and diets were more honored in the breach...

'Lainie

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president ... right or
wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to
the American public." -- Teddy Roosevelt, 1918