[Sca-cooks] Compost

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Feb 22 05:19:55 PST 2004

In a message dated 2/22/2004 12:56:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com writes:

<<This brings up an idea for modern compost that has similarities to my
understanding of how period compost was done. Since the various items
that compose compost ripen at different times throughout the year, I
believe each was picked at their optimum time, chopped and placed in
the pickling solution. When the next item was available, it was
chopped, placed in the solution and more solution added if needed. Etc
until the harvest is finished.>>

Well, that is contrary to the Forme of Cury recipe, which clearly says that
all of the vegetables are to be  cooked at the same time to be put in the
pickling mixture.  And a lot of people don't realize that, while turnips and other
root vegetables are commonly grown as spring vegetables (the seed packets
often say to start as soon as the ground can be worked in spring), they can also
be done as fall vegetables.  Here in Southern Pennsylvania, if I start a crop
of root vegetables, especially turnips, right after I get home from Pennsic, I
can harvest them in late October or early November, right about the time when
the pears come in and when I see huge piles of cabbages at the local farm
stands.

Brangwayna