[Sca-cooks] Food in Tolkien(OOP) but event related....

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 10:14:44 PST 2004

>Okay, so I volunteered to cook for an event before the theme was announced...
>
>My usual period sources are in place, but as this is also a "fantasy" event,
>I'd like to add in some Tolkien influences. Can anyone give me any idea of the
>food they ate in Lord of the Rings??
>
>If I had something to work with, maybe I can find a medieval influence.
>
>Yeah, I know this is a stretch.....

Unfortunately my books are packed away... here are some things I found online:
the dwarves visit Bilbo: seedcake, buttered scones, cold chicken,
apple tart, raspberry jam, cakes, mince pies, pork pies, salad,
cheese, eggs, and pickles - I'd read it over, I dont think they got
everything
honey at Beorn's
miruvor - cordial from Rivendell
lembas - there are LOTs of recipes out on the net - I like the idea
of cooking them as wafers
apples - that Sam throws at Bill Ferny, and I think one of the
barrels smelled of apples.
coney and herbs  and Sam wanted "taters"
mutton - that the trolls wanted to eat
Tom Bombadil and Goldberry - yellow cream  and honeycomb, and white
bread, and butter; milk, cheese, and green herbs and  ripe berries
gathered.
Bilbo lost in the orc tunnels images frying bacon and eggs
I'd read the section on the birthday party- I think there are food
references there too.
Also Dell and Bree

I think I have to check the books out at the library and read them again *S*
Ranvaig

There are lots of fan recipes...most of them not that useful, imo
http://www.funtrivia.com/quizdetails.cfm?id=73165
http://fan.theonering.net/writing/recipes/index.html
http://www.azcentral.com/home/food/articles/0122hobbittfare22.html
http://www.hobbitfood.republika.pl/hobbits.htm
http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20020919middleearth0919fnp3.asp
Someone wrote a cookbook 'Regional Cooking From Middle-earth: Recipes
of the Third Age,' " the sample recipes don't make me expect much.