[Sca-cooks] catching drippings

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Feb 22 11:31:24 PST 2004

>Kiri commented:
>>I don't know if it has any bearing on this, but there are a number of
>>recipes in the mid-Eastern books that call for something being baked
>>under a piece of meat hung above it so that the fat from the meat can
>>drip down into the item being baked.

and Stefan replied:

>Interesting. Can you give some examples of these Middle Eastern
>recipes? Are the foods put under the meats breads or vegetables or
>different items? Also, are these items being baked in an oven? Or
>actually roasted, such as on spits near the fire? Since the dripping
>are recognized now for the flavor they bring now, and I suppose
>then, I can see that capturing and using these drippings would
>often be done.

I've just skimmed through al-Bagdadi, and umless I'm missing
something, the only recipes in that book with the chickens above for
dripping are recipes for Judhab--here is a sample:

Judhab Lhubz al-Qata'if. Take qata'if-bread as required: spray the
dish with a little rose-water, and place the bread thereon in layers,
putting between each layer almonds and sugar, or pistachio ground
fine: spray again with rose-water. When the bread fills the dish,
pour on a little fresh sesame-oil, and cover with syrup. Hang over it
a fat plucked chicken, smeared with saffron: when cooked, remove.
Small stuffed qata'if are also treated in this way.

A later judhab recipe says:

The method of suspending the chicken over judhab is as follows. Hang
it up in the oven, and watch: then, when the fat is about to run,
place the judhab under it.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook