[Sca-cooks] Medieval History Magazine (was meatpastiesand theirlongevity)

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Mon Feb 23 08:54:10 PST 2004

Well, the article does say that they experimented with the coffyn because
they felt the period ones were probably unpalatablen and most likely
discarded after the filling was reached and consumed.  I am going to write
to Stefan right now and give the recipe for the coffyn and the filling.
Among the ingredients for the coffyns is 200 g of drippings.  What is meant
by that?  would this be drippings from roasting meat, that has become solid
at room temperature?  I say that because in the recipe you are toput water
and the drippings into a saucepan and simmer until the drippings melt.....
Ok okay, you are getting it all back asswards here, but for those of you who
may have the resource:

"The original source for this recipe is Harleian MS. 279, in the section
titled 'Dyuerese Bake Metis,' as reproduced by Cindy Renfrow nin Take a
Thousand Eggs or More.  An almost identical recipe occurs in Harleian MS.
4016, as well as a number of similar recipes with titles such as 'Tarte de
chare' amd 'Another manere [of tartes]' and 'Doucettes' in MS. 279, and
Douce MS. "

Angharad ferch Iorwerth; MKA Vicki Shaw
Barony Beyond the Mountain
East Kingdom