[Sca-cooks] Food in Tolkien(OOP) but event related....

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Mon Feb 23 09:12:36 PST 2004

At 10:14 AM 2/23/2004 +0200, Jehanne de Huguenin wrote:
>In addition to what's already been said, here's a random
>selection.  (Luckily I've read LotR very recently, as I'm working on a
>paper on the films.)
>The Prancing Pony feeds the hobbits hot soup, bread and cheese, cold meat,
>blackberry tart and ale.

So apparently blackberries were still in season in Bree at the end of
September.

>Denethor, in Minas Tirith, starves Pippin with only wine and cakes for
>breakfast.  The soldiers, under the seige, eat bread, cheese and apples.

Old apples, harvested months before, getting a bit dry and wrinkled but not
spoiled.

>Lembas, the way-bread of the elves, is described as "thin cakes, made of a
>meal that was baked a light brown on the outside, and inside was the
>colour of cream."

And "One will keep a traveler on his feet for a day of long labour, even if
he be one of the tall Men of Minas Tirith." I suppose that this means that
each one contains over 2000 calories, at least about 250 calories of
protein, perhaps 30 grams of fiber, and some yummy vitamins and minerals. :-)

So what time of year is this feast going to be?

Henry/Alex