[Sca-cooks] Spices was licorice,

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Mon Feb 23 15:42:22 PST 2004

but saffron is the stamen (or is it the pistil) or whatever is the male part
of the flower which pulled from the flower, and then it is dried until it
looks like a filament......so that would almost make it an herb, but if one
follows the other rule about spices, it would be a spice because it is not
native to america or europe.....so I agree with Adamantius, no sense getting
hung up on labels....or is it lables?
[pistil sounds more male than stamen]; shame on me, I should know this.  I
could avoid making a fool of myself by pulling out my spice book and getting
it from the horse's mouth...indeed I WILL, FORTHWITH...

OKAY,  the flower is a crocus and the part harvested is the stigma and part
of the style.....

Angharad ferch Iorwerth; MKA Vicki Shaw
Barony Beyond the Mountain
East Kingdom