[Sca-cooks] meat pasties and their longevity outside moderncooling

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Mon Feb 23 16:09:29 PST 2004

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> I wonder if the wooden bowls contributed to the attributes of the test
> pies.

I tend to think not in general. It's possible that there might be
something antibiotic within the wood, or something used to treat the
wood, but I don't think there is in most wooden bowls. If the manner of
storage contributed, it might be that the cloth covering the bowls
_breathed_ more than a paper bag for food service, that the test pies
dried on the surface while the purchased pies kept a little moisture
withing the back, to the benefit of the bacteria.

> Wasabi kills cholera?

 From what I read, in about ten seconds of contact. There were other
micro-organisms listed, with there reaction to wasabi, rice vinegar,
ginger, and one other ingredient that I forgot, but the wasabi-cholera
one was the one that stuck with me (I'm a bit of a non-canonical
wasabiophile when it come to sushi). Their point was how sushi evolved
as a way to preserve fish.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at jeffnet.org
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)