[Sca-cooks] Food in "Cries of London", was medieval fast food

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 19:47:00 PST 2004

But, my lady, you have helped us as well...you and Anahita provide us
with a great deal of insight, particularly into Middle Eastern cookery.
And often times your questions make us look at things we thought we knew
in a new light!

Kiri

vicki shaw wrote:

>I am humbled, Milord!  'Tis more than once I have thought I do not belong on
>this list, for by comparison with most of you, I am little better than a
>scullion and have recently questioned how much I really have to offer.  I
>laugh at my own presumption for I thought I was a cook!  Ha!  How much I
>have learned both about my own limitations - which are legion - and from you
>all.
>
>I felt I had to say this, really.  I ask only that you let this little
>temperamental fit slip by quietly with no fuss at all.  I thank you for the
>honor of being allowed to participate and for the free education I am
>getting.
>
>Vicki (not Angharad here, but Vicki)
>

>>There's an article in at least some editions of the Larousse
>>Gastronomique about the Street Cries of Paris (and the vendors
>>performing same). <snip>
>>
>>Adamantius
>>
>>Many composers wrote 'Cries', including Orlando Gibbons and (maybe) Thomas
>>Morely. Here is the text from one such 'Cries of London':
>>
>>God give you good morrow my master, past three o'clock and a fair
>>morning. New mussels, new lily white mussels. Hot codlings [cooking
>>

>apples],
>

>>hot. New cockles, new great cockles. New great sprats, new. New fresh
>>herrings. New haddocks, new. Now thornbacks new. Hot apple pies, hot. Hot
>>pippin pies, hot. Fine pomegranates, fine. Hot mutton pies hot. Ha' ye any
>>old bellows or trays to mend? Rosemary and bays, quick and gentle. Ripe
>>chestnuts, ripe. Ripe smallnuts, ripe. White cabbage, white young cabbage,
>>white. White turnips, white young turnips, white. . . parsnips. . .
>>

>lettuce.
>

>>. . Buy any ink, will you buy any ink, very fine writing ink, will you buy
>>any ink? Ha' ye any rats or mice to kill? I ha' ripe peascods, ripe.
>>Oysters, oysters, oysters, threepence a peck at Bridewell dock, new
>>Wallfleet oysters. Oyez! If any man or woman can tell any tidings of a
>>

>grey
>

>>mare, with a long mane and a short tail, she halts [limps] down right
>>before, and is stark lame behind, and was lost this thirtieth day of
>>February. He that can tell any tidings of her, let him come to the Crier,
>>and he shall have well for his hire. Ripe damsons, ripe fine damsons. Hard
>>garlic, hard. Will ye buy any aqua vitae, mistress? I have ripe
>>goose-berries, ripe. Buy a barrel of Samphire. What is't ye lack? Fine
>>wrought shirts or smocks. Perfumed waistcoats, fine bone lace or edgings,
>>sweet gloves, silk garters, very fine silk garters, fine combs or glasses.
>>Or a poking stick with a silver handle. Old doublets, ha'ye any old
>>doublets? Ha' ye any corns on your feet or toes? Fine potatoes, fine. Will
>>ye buy any starch for a clear complexion, mistress? Poor naked bedlam,
>>

>Tom's
>

>>a-cold, a small cut of thy bacon or a piece of thy sow's side, good Bess.
> [...]

Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
and wisdom to curiosity.
					-- C.E. Lawrence