[Sca-cooks] sushi (OOP)

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Mon Feb 23 18:01:41 PST 2004

To my knowledge, sushi, especially in the recognizable modern form, is
17th century at best. I don't consider it 'period' to the SCA. Love it
in the modern world, but neither appropriate to my place or time.

My understanding of the use of rice to perserve was that the rice
fermented, making for an inhospitable environment for the bad bacteria.
And, yes, initially, the rice was discarded, not eaten.

My experience is that Americans used to perceive sushi as either 'raw
fish' (sashimi) or nori-maki rolls (the ubiquitous California roll).
Then more recently, the nigiri rolls have gained popularity and
acceptance.  I actually like oshi-zushi, but can't always find it, so I
take it that it is seldom ordered by Yanks, at least to justify a place
on the menu. (Menu? who orders from the menu?....How's the tamago
today?). Chirashi ('scattered') is a rare treat for probably the same
reason.

I also hear many Yanks complain that there's not much food for the
price, which might also explain the popularity of the larger nori-maki
rolls among us round eyes.

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at jeffnet.org
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly,
while bad people will find a way around the laws."
- Plato (427-347 B.C.)