[Sca-cooks] Spices was licorice,

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Feb 23 18:09:43 PST 2004

Of course Saffron  was grown in England----------
hence Saffron Waldron---
http://www.saffronshops.com/history/index.shtml

If one examines William Harrison's Description of England
one will find that chapter VIII of Book III is titled:
"Of Our Saffron and the Dressing Thereof." Harrison wrote
his accounts for Holinshed's 16th century Chronicles of England.
(The Dover edition of Harrison is very reasonably priced for those
that still buy books.)

Johnnae llyn Lewis