[Sca-cooks] Spices was licorice,

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 18:24:51 PST 2004

As i was studying the origins of spices for a class i taught on them,
one of the books i read, possibly the Oxford Companion of Food, said
saffron pretty much originated in Persia, which is far from Tropical.

As for some other items under discussion, if to be a "spice" the item
must come from the Tropics, then what does one call anise seed, dill
seed, fennel seed, mustard seed, coriander seed, for example, which
grow around the Mediterranean (far from Tropical) and most grow in
points much farther north. Certainly, these seeds are not herbs.

I am of that school that thinks that herbs are generally leaves,
spices are seeds - bark - roots/rhizomes - certain dried flower parts
(like cloves) - etc. I consider dried flowers to be, well, dried
flowers (i use rose petals, lavender buds, jasmine blossoms as
seasonings).

It seems to me that dictionary definition only shows the ignorance or
at least lack of thorough thought, on the part of those who wrote the
particular definition.

Anahita