[Sca-cooks] Re:hot rock cookery

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 11:42:15 PST 2004

When I have lived with a wood stove, first at my aunties and later when I
was grown, I know that at night or while away from home you bank the fire
then stick some rocks or (the right kind of) bricks in the stove and if it
was really cold then lay some on top of the stove as well.  By doing that
you kept more heat generated for a longer time.  I learned from my auntie
that putting yeast dough on or very near the stove over night would yeald
some great rolls or bread in the morning.  Also she made yogurt and other
stuff that way.  In winter us kids carried small warm rocks in our coat
pockets.
Doesn't really have much to do with the thread I suppose, just memories.
Olwen