[Sca-cooks] seeds of paradise and Nostradamus (WAS Need some Help with Spanish Recipes....)

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Feb 25 06:38:12 PST 2004

I'll save you some time and just tell you that-----
No---- there is not a book that has redacted all of Nostredamus'
recipes. The Elixers was in fact the first English translation of the
work and
there are mixed opinions as to the value of that translation when compared
to the original texts. (There are several excellent facsimilies of the
original that are available
from interlibrary loan or can be purchased used and those should be
consulted for the
original texts of course.)
That is not to say that several of the recipes and their modern versions
haven't been included in various
cookbooks and if you read French, you can come across a number of them
in the various works that deal with 16th century French cuisine. Saban &
Serventi's
La Gastronomie a la Renaissance from 1997 comes to mind. You might want
to start
this investigaton by perhaps reading Barbara Wheaton's
Savoring the Past for what she says about Nostredamus. She also
includes recipes from his work, although she considered him a quack.

Johnnae llyn Lewis