Rosemary was Re: [Sca-cooks] bananas are herbs?

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Fri Feb 27 20:59:30 PST 2004

I'm laughing out loud, here (well, okay, it's really a quiet giggle, but
it's friday evening and I'm tired ;o)
I felt the same way about my Pelican, which I just got last November,
almost 12 years after my laurel (which came relatively early in my SCA
life, much to my complete amazement and surprise).  I was completely and
utterly convinced that even if I had at some point been worthy of
consideration for that worthy estate, I probably had some Horrendous
Personal Flaw (tm) that no one was willing to tell me about.  And then,
out of the blue, blammo! The universe surely works in mysterious ways....
And I doubt I can grow bay laurel (wrong climate up here).  I sure know
I can't keep rosemary alive, despite my best attempts.  Local herb
farmers at our local farmers' market have told me it's pretty impossible
to do without a greenhouse.  *sigh* I can cook with both of them,
though! (OFC)
At least we have some hardy types of lavender that'll winter-over.  I'd
love to have a sideyard full of it some day (I'll leave the front yard
lavender-free for folks like Lainie to come visiting and porch-sitting
;o) I've tried growing it in a pot, but without much success.
Boy, oh boy, but I am soooo looking forward to spring.  Snow is almost
gone here (at least on the valley floor).  I'm trying to decide what
kind of herbs to grow this year--some for cooking, I think, and some for
natural dyeing.
--maire, having a weird evening.....