[Sca-cooks] Questions....

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 28 08:28:18 PST 2004

Hey folks...
I have a couple of questions that I suspect you guys may be able to answer:

In one recipe, I encountered a reference to "leavening"....from de Nola:

Oranges from Xativa Which Are Crullers

Take fresh cheese and curds, and mash them in a mortar together with
eggs.  Then take dough and knead the cheeses with the curds, together
with the dough, and when they are all kneaded and incorporated take a
very clean casserole, and add to it a good quantity of sweet pork fat or
sweet oil which should be fine, and when the pork lard or oil boils,
make some round masses from the aforementioned dough, like balls or
round oranges, and put them in the pot in such a way that the ball goes
swimming through the casserole, and you can make small rissoles from the
dough, or whatever forms and remarkable things you wish, and when they
take on the color of gold, remove them, and add a few more, and when
they are all fried, put them on plates, and pour honey over them, and
scatter ground sugar and cinnamon over them.  But note one thing:  that
you should add a little leavening to the cheeses and the eggs, and add
flour to the other, and when you make the balls grease your hands with a
little oil which should be fine and then take them to the casserole, and
once they are in if the dough crackles it is a sign that it is very
soft; and you need to add more flour until it is harder, and once the
dough is prepared and fired add the honey and sugar and cinnamon as is
described above.

What kind of leavening are they referring to?  Could I get away with
using yeast?

Secondly, I also have a recipe, from Cuoco Napoletano, for a Cherry
Torte that calls for rose petals.  Now I know I won't be able to get
these locally as I doubt we'll have roses in early May.  And I know I
can't go to a florist for them because those have been treated with
insecticides, etc.  Any suggestions as to where I could get these...or
could I simply omit them.  The recipe calls for sprinkling rosewater
over the torte after it has baked, so it will get some of that flavor.
I don't know that I want to add rosewater to the ingredients for the
torte because it would be too watery.

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Kiri
--

Learning is a lifetime journey...growing older merely adds experience to knowledge
and wisdom to curiosity.