[Sca-cooks] Interesting Blacksmithing Articles

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 1 17:34:36 PST 2004

I just got this message. Some of you may have seen it, or will see it
on other mail lists. I'm reposting it here since Phlip and I were
discussing SCA forges vs. period ones. One of the points I made was
that folks were mostly likely to be forging steel and not wrought iron,
which would have been the period material. Well here at last is a
source for this material. However, I couldn't find a price, which
probably means it is expensive. So it may not work for the usual SCA
forgework. Things change though. Even if you are not into blacksmithing
you might want to look through the site as it has some good articles on
wrought iron and how it differs from steel. Some of these
characteristics might even impact how a food cooks in a wrought iron
utensil vs. a cast iron (actually today, a cast steel) one.

Stefan
> http://www.christopp.co.uk/index.asp
> Mary Rose Cannon etc.
>
> http://www.realwroughtiron.com/
> The Real Wrought Iron Company.
> Previously the last place making it was in
> Sweden in the 1960's. These people are
> apparently re-manufacturing old iron.
> Real wrought Iron is fibrous and has
> a percentage of silaceous slag (7% or so)
> worked back into it after smelting it to
> give it it's properties.
>
> Magnus
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas