[Sca-cooks] eggs and pita and other stuff

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Wed Jan 7 10:37:25 PST 2004

I figured out my problem and killed Incredimail dead!!!  Bye bye, gonzo.

Now, I will try to catch up.

Re eggs:  The Pleyn Delit has quite a few egg recipes.

Re freezing pita, my mum taught me a trick for ensuring air tight freezing
and that is to zip your bag leaving only a bit of room to insert a straw,
and then suck out the air; the bag will shrivel right up like shrink wrap
and have a longer freezer life.

Pita recipe:  From an old Herb Companion issue that featured Biblical herbs,
I got a wonderful recipe to jazz up pita.  The only thing is it will not
puff up but will be a flat bread, but a delishus flat bread.

You need thyme (the ancient herb is Za'tar which I get from my local
Indo/Pakistani grocer, but a nice variety of thyme will do nicely) finely
chopped or minced,
Olive oil
minced garlic,
a pinch or so of cumin powder
salt
a squeeze of lemon (my own addition, adds zip and tang)

Prepare that and have it sit while you make your pitas.

When your pitas (or any flat bread) are ready to go into the oven, brush
them with this mixture.  If you do not put too much of the sauce, they may
puff up, but generously baste the top of each bread with this sauce and they
don't puff up, which is fine with me.

Another thing I tried to send some time ago is a recipe for Moroccan
preserved lemons.  Stefan Li Rous told me some people had been discussing
these but no one had the recipe.  I dont want to bombard any one with
unsollicited material, so I will wait to hear from anyone who is interested
before I send it.

Glad to be in from the desert!

Angharad
www.omygoddess.biz