[Sca-cooks] fans

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 9 22:54:23 PST 2004

> I was wandering around the Museum's links page and found this Fan
> Museum. How cool is that?
> http://www.fan-museum.org/

Well, I had high hopes they would have some information on fans in the
European Middle Ages. Unfortunately, the site doesn't have that much
history at all, and what little they have jumps from the Romans to the
imported folding fans of the late 16th century. Folding or non-folding,
I'd like to find more info on whether fans were used in Europe in the
Middle Ages.

For those interested in fans, there is this short file in the
ACCESSORIES section of the Florilegium:
fans-msg           (9K) 11/21/94    Use of folding fans in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/ACCESS/fans-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas