[Sca-cooks] OOP International recipe site

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 10:13:04 PST 2004

While looking online for a book titled Merry Go Round of Recipes from
Jamaica, I found this interesting, yet OOP site.  Some of the recipes sound
very good so I bookmarked it and thought I would share.  Some of the recipes
are at little *too* interesting like this one:
Flying Termites or "Kumbekumbe"
3 cups of termites
2 pinches of salt
600 ml of water
Once collected, trap the termites in a plastic bag to prevent them from
flying away. Collection is done when they emerge during the rainy days.
Sprinkle salt into the water in a clean bowl. Empty the termites into the
water-filled bowl. The water soaks into their wings, rendering then
flightless. Carefully remove their wings. Allow the termites to soak in the
salty water for five minutes. Then sieve out the termites, allowing the
water to drain off. Place the termites in a frying pan over high heat (260
degrees F). Repeatedly turn the termites until they are a crisp, golden
brown delicacy. Serve while hot with a beverage.
Note: This delicacy is protein rich and is thus encouraged for growing
children.
Submitted by: Dennis Immonje '05, Kenya

Now, I have eaten and cooked grasshoppers so I don't know why this seems
such a stretch for me.  Maybe it's the collecting and pulling off the wings.
  Bet I'd eat them if they were on the buffet though.

Another, from Romania, is an organ dish that also calls for the peritoneum
of lamb.

In another, from China, it calls for sweet fermented flour sauce.  Anyone
know what that is?

THLady Olwen the Odd
Clan of Odds
House Blackstar