[Sca-cooks] PETA and sheep, and of course chickens!!

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 07:52:01 PST 2004

Johann von Metten habst schriebten:
There are ancient and medieval breeds of sheep that
are still around and unchanged by modern agriculture,
the Shetlands, Icelandics, San Jacinto, and others
give us a good window into the materials the ancients
had to deal with.
Yes, there are a few breeds of modern sheep that do
not shed their fleece very well, I do believe that all
of them will shed, just not very efficently to
maintain good health.
Goat tastes about as much like sheep as it does
antelope or deer, I know that goats and antelope are
closely related, and I suspect to the same degree with
sheep and deer.

I will agree that this is probably not the best venue
to discuss PETA and its effects on society, but if you
wish you may take it to
medievalanimals at yahoogroups.com
where I'm sure we will more effectively discuss the
problem.

As many of you may know, I raise old breeds of poultry
(Chickens, geese right now. so do some of my
apprentices, were a regular Medieval Ag Consortium!

We've had PETA protest our use of animals in
demonstations and events, to the point that I had to
place a guard over a 10x10 cage of very rare birds to
prevent a 'rescue attempt' by a group of such minded
young people!! This was on a college campus and the
campus cops did nothing!!
Though it was pretty wierd/neat to see the A&S display
get more attention than the fighters!! LOL!!

One individual stuck his finger in the cage and when
the cock gave him a goodly peck, he screamed 'see the
poor things are starving!" dispite seeing a full
feeder next to the sign that said "chickens bite, do
not put your finger in the cage!"!!

When my apprenitces son gave the last of his sandwich
to the birds someone commented, but chickens only eat
grain, right!? Wrong!! as the senior hen pummeled the
cock into giving up the biggest piece of meat!! "See
more male on male violence! meat and men mean violence
against women!!" Lady that other bird IS a HEN!!!
LOL!! Oh well!!!

May all your flocks and fields be fruitful in the
coming season!
Appreciate your farmers and butchers!

Johann von Metten OL
medieval poultrier