[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 8, Issue 94/Period Critters, sheep pigs chickens

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 19 13:40:56 PST 2004

Well Phlip
For those of you interesed in Medieval Breeds of
various livestock I would send you to
Rarelivestock at yahoogroups.com
 and to
medievalanimals at yahoogroups.com

I hope to get a webpage up in the future for more
animals, but that will have to wait til RL(reallife)
gets taken care of!!

ON KING JOHN and his english pigs....(!)
Fat pigs are more expensive than lean ones!! To a
medieval mind they are more desireable and provide a
greater variety of foodstuffs.
A lean pig is a bad sign!!
Only in the modern mind does leaness equal quality, in
either swine, or other animals!

The fat will survive winter, starvation and disease
easier than the lean without those reserves!

Johann
the portly!
Never trust a skinny cook!!

I know of only two breeds of swine still in existence
from the Middle ages. The Tamworth and Red Duroc are
two breeds of swine that are 'recreations of the old
breeds and of course the wild Eurasian boar is still
around! The Gloucester Old Spot one of the rarest of
European Domestic Swine was wiped out a year ago when
the last English herd was destroyed out of fear of
Hoof and Mouth, though the herd was over 25k from the
nearest infection and had already proved remarkably
hardy in resisting it in the 1930s!

As to Chickens getting along with the cock you already
have...? Well, Murray McMurray and Sandhill both have
a strain of Brahmas and Cochins that are quite laid
back.