[Sca-cooks] silk from broken cacoons

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 19 20:05:33 PST 2004

  Padraig o Connell commented:
> On Jan 15, 2004, at 10:48 PM, Nambeanntan at aol.com wrote:
> > Harvesting silk cocoons is a barbaric practice that prevents the
> moths
> > from living and dying a natural life.
>
> 	Here in Calafia, there was a vegan couple that had gotten into silk
> spinning.   What they were doing was using the hatched cocoons that the
> moths had discarded.
This was done in period, as well. I don't remember the details, but I
suspect since the threads would be shorter they would be weaker and
slightly different spinning techniques would be needed. I believe these
spent cacoons were also used as padding.

This file in the TEXTILE ARTS section has some info on this, I believe:
silk-msg          (58K) 12/17/99    Types of silk, silk in the SCA and
period.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas