[Sca-cooks] lent, wine, indulgences, de Nola

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Tue Jan 20 13:20:40 PST 2004

So this month for my cooking column in Medieval History Magazine I'm
writing about Lent.  For recipes, I'm giving them de Nola's Cazuela de
Salmon and the chard recipe that mentions cheese if you have an
indulgence.

When I was wrapping up the article I found myself wanting to finish with
a smart-ass comment about "This meal goes great with crusty bread and a
nice white wine - assuming you've bought an indulgence for the wine!"
but I realised I knew too little about indulgences to say that with
confidence.

So my question is, could you buy indulgences to let you drink wine
during Lent?  Was it even restricted, or am I thinking too modernly
about alcohol?

Yours,

Katherine

--
Goodwife Katherine Rowberd (mka Kirrily "Skud" Robert)
katherine at elizabethangeek.com  http://elizabethangeek.com/