[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 8, Issue 140

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Wed Jan 28 00:36:14 PST 2004

At 07:58 AM 1/27/04 -0600, Adamantius wrote:
>Clearly, though, this suggests that you don't see the dish as a
>secondary by-product of something else. (This is a common, if
>heretical, interpretation ;-) ) Perhaps, if you did, the vegetables
>would make more sense.
yes, true; but it's interesting that it wouldn't occur to me to make food
in such excess - particularly large chunks o' meat - that I'd have enough
left to make proper rechauffee cottage pie.  I tend to overcater, but not
_that_ badly.  Which suggests that contemporary cooking values tend less to
certain kinds of excess than those of the 19th or early 20th century.  Or
more towards a fetish of freshness?  the drift towards ground fresh meat
instead of chopped cook meat seems an inevitable by-product of our
different notions of health and desirable qualities in cooking.

>Yeah, weird. But ostrich is not... I calculate some two extra grams
>of fiber per serving, plus the 870 extra grams of fat per serving
>from the cream cheese; I'd say that evens out, no? ;-)
hell, who's counting?  cottage pie is comfort food, as far as I'm
concerned.  One _needs_ the extra calories when depressed.  Although not in
this weather ;>.

JdH

Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Kingdom Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.