[Sca-cooks] Shepherd's Pie - with maple sausage & apples

Liz Courts lizcourts at bendcable.com
Wed Jan 28 17:48:54 PST 2004

1.) Make two double pie crusts - don't bake yet!
2.) Make sausage-apple stuffing (recipe follows) and boil some potatoes
(thumb-size or smaller works well)
3.) Drain potatoes!
3.) Mix together stuffing & potatoes, then fill pie, cover with top
crust, cook as a regular pie or until the crust is browned to your liking.
4.) Let cool a little, smear with generous amounts of sour cream and eat up!

Sausage Apple Stuffing
1 lb. pork sausage (maple is best)
3 large apples, peeled, cored and chopped (Fujis or Galas are best!)
1 large onion, chopped (any is good, but I like the flavor of red onions)
1 cup chopped celery
4 cups fresh bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp poultry seasoning

1.) In 4 qt saucepan over medium heat, cook sausage meat until browned,
breaking apart with fork. Remove meat to medium bowl.
2.) Pour off all but 1/4 cup of drippings. In drippings over medium
heat, cook apples, onion, and celery until celery is tender, about 10
minutes.
3.) Remove from heat. Add sausage meat and remaining ingredients. Stir
until well mixed.
Yield - 6 1/4 cups

This recipe was originially a turkey stuffing, but I found the taste so
delightful I figured out ways to put it in other things. I usually omit
the bread crumbs and eggs, though - you really only need them if you're
doing a "wet" stuffing, otherwise it's just dandy without them. For the
pie, I usually omit them.

Ignia il Nomade
Suifu of the OniRyu