[Sca-cooks] Flyer for Banquet dels Quatre Barres -- March 20, Caer Mear, Atlantia

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 29 09:11:32 PST 2004

Banquet dels Quatre Barres

Food lovers unite, again! The Barony of Caer Mear
(Richmond, VA) cordially invites you to a celebration
of Catalan cuisine on March 20, AS XXXVIII (2004).
Join us for a day of food, food, music, food, dancing,
food, food, and congenial company. There will be arts
and games in the morning, music and entertainment
throughout the day, a banquet from early-afternoon
into the evening, dancing and good company into the
night.

Banquet: Service will begin promptly at 1:00pm. Master
Thomas Longshanks and his kitchen crew will present a
feast with dishes selected from Catalan cookbooks of
the 14th and 15th centuries, including, but not
limited to:

Pa, queso i almendras (Bread, cheese and almonds)
Brou de gualines (Chicken broth)
Lagostins ab dos salsas (Prawns with two sauces)
Esparechs ab vinagre (Fried asparagus with red wine
vinegar)
Queso i membrillo (Manchego cheese with quince paste)
Guatles en ast ab aygua sal (Spit-roasted quail with
orange sauce)
Confits de fonoll (Fennel confits)
Cervo a la sarreynesqua (Venison in the Saracen style)
Aros ab let de amelles (Rice with almond milk)
A table of confits will follow the banquet for your
enjoyment throughout the evening.

A fine meal is incomplete without good wine. Bring
your favorites, or contact Master Thomas for a list of
very good, inexpensive Catalan wines he recommends you
bring for various dishes.

NOTE:  Most dishes INCLUDE nuts or almond milk. Most
dishes are NOT vegetarian. Please contact Master
Thomas for a complete menu and list of ingredients.

Event specifics:  The site is the Group Camp 3 Dining
Hall at Pocahontas State Park, Route 655 (Beach Rd.)
in Chesterfield County, VA. The Hall will be open
10:00 a.m. to  9:00 p.m. The Park closes at 10:00 p.m.
The site is discretely wet, with the display of no
original containers. The State Park prohibits open
alcoholic beverages outdoors at this site (they aren't
kidding, folks!). There can be no open flames in the
hall, so all candles must be enclosed in a container.

A&S Activities:  Display - Artists and researchers are
invited to display their works from 10:00 a.m. to 1:30
p.m. Competition - In addition to the A&S display,
there will be a friendly competition. The best
expression of the theme will receive a small token of
our appreciation. The theme will be "Books and Roses."

Lodging and Crash Space:  Contact the autocrat for
information on area hotels.

Fees:
· On-Board:  $20.00 ($23.00 for non-members) per
person, including children.
· Off-Board - Because the event is a banquet, there
will be NO OFFBOARD SPACE.

Reservations:  Admission to the banquet is limited to
the first 66 paid reservations, only. Sorry, no
walk-ins - even little ones. Reservations must be paid
and in our hands by March 13, 2004. If the event is
cancelled, all paid reservations will be cheerfully
refunded. Make checks payable to "Barony of Caer Mear
- SCA, Inc." Please include the mundane and SCA names,
and member numbers, for all reserved seats.

Directions:
>From North and South (I-95 N and S): Follow I-95 to
Exit 62 - VA-288 N towards Chesterfield. Take VA-288 6
miles to the VA-10 E/Iron Bridge Rd exit towards
Chesterfield. Take Iron Bridge Rd. (VA-10 East) 1.5
miles to Beach Rd. Turn right at the light onto Beach
Rd. Pocahontas State Park is 4 miles down Beach Rd.,
on the right.

>From East and West (I-64 E and W, US-460 W): Take I-64
to I-95 S at Richmond to Exit 62. OR take US-460 W to
I-95 N at Petersburg to Exit 62. Follow directions for
North/South.

>From West (US-360 E): Take I-64 E to I-95 S at
Richmond to Exit 62, and follow directions for
North/South. OR take your best route to US-360 E to
VA-288 S. Take VA-288 S 5.8 miles to the VA-10 E/Iron
Bridge Rd exit towards Chesterfield. Take Iron Bridge
Rd. (VA-10 East) 1.5 miles to Beach Rd. Turn right at
the light onto Beach Rd. Pocahontas State Park is 4
miles down Beach Rd., on the right.

Contacts:  AUTOCRAT - Magdalena de Hazebrouck (Betty
Eyer, 1441 King William Woods Road, Midlothian VA
23113, 804-594-7227, betty_eyer at yahoo.com. No calls
after 10 p.m.) TROLL - Dewi Lan (David Eyer, same
address and phone, david_eyer at yahoo.com.) COOK -
Thomas Longshanks (Tom McDonald, 8502 Claypool Road,
Richmond VA 23236, 804-674-5181, a5foil at ix.netcom.com.
No calls after 10 p.m.)