[Sca-cooks] obscure measurements

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Jan 2 07:26:01 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> >  I missed most of that because we didn't use them,
> >and, in fact, at the boarding school I was at at that time, our plates
and
> >cups were all hand made pottery- in fact, every kid was required to make
> >bowl, a plate, and a cup during their stay there. Only limitations were
> >size, so as you can imagine, we ate off an interesting "set" of dishes.
The
> >serving pieces were handmade, too, but the teachers made them, at need.
They
> >tended to be a bit more consistant ;-)
>
> Cool! Did you actually eat off your own, or simply add your pieces to
> the general pool? It might be interesting to see a kid's
> interpretation of the proper size for, say, an oatmeal versus an ice
> cream bowl.

No, they became part of the general supply, although you might get first
chance to eat off them when they first came out of the kiln. The deal was
that these were made during the pottery block. The end of the day, we had
our arts time, where we'd have blocks dedicated to a particular craft.
That's where I learned how to weave, make stuffed animals, build a kayak,
stained glass, pottery, all sorts of stuff. I remember one block, we built
our own matchbox derby racers- mine was about the ugliest- I was slow at
developing hand/eye coordination- but it beat everyone else's, no matter how
pretty ;-)

Was an interesting school. During one of the science blocks, they cut me
loose with an algebra book, to teach myself algebra- mornings alternated a 3
hour science block ad a 3 hour history block. It was nice, because you
didn't really have time to gewt bored with a topic- by the time you couldn't
stand it, you were studying something else.

St. Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.