[Sca-cooks] obscure measurements

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Jan 2 13:05:38 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Prey tell, what school was this?  And where?  What grades are/were there?
> Sounds odder than the Baltimore High School for the Arts where Morningstar
> went (but it wasn't a borading school, just really cool).
> Olwen

It was Horizon's Edge Country Home School, in Canterbury, NH, and I went
there the last half of 5th grade, last half of 6th grade, and 7th and 8th
grade. It took kids from 1st through 8th grades, but it's been closed for
about 10 years- I'm still in occasional contact with the family who ran it.
I was looking into it when Damantius' son was having real troubles at his
grade school a few years ago. Was never a very big school- when I went,
there were about 25 students, most boarding, a few townies or locals- there
were 5 of us in my graduating class. After I left it expanded somewhat, up
to about 40 students, in the new building (which I had helped survey for, as
part of one of my science blocks). I was there in the early through mid 60s-
quite a while ago ;-)

Among other things, it was where I was allowed to develop an early interest
in cooking- one of the chores for kids was making the supper salad, another
was making desserts, and we had enough Jewish kids, that they were allowed
to make us all traditional meals for their Holidays. Beadmaking was one of
my favorite tasks- we'd make enough for the whole school for a couple of
weeks (none of this namby pamby Wonder bread crap) and if you helped, you
got to be one of the first to get a heel, with lotsa butter, right out of
the oven ;-) And breakfasts lways included some form of hot cereal, with all
the wheat germ, honey, and yogurt you wanted to put on it- except for
Saturday, and sometimes Sunday mornings, when you got commercial cold
cereal- Cheerios, corn flakes, Life, shredded wheat, and the like.

An interesting school, as I said, where you got fed Real Food, unlike the
crap I was fed at other boarding schools.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.