[Sca-cooks] Egg Torte

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Thu Jan 8 21:39:04 PST 2004

Here is the recipe I promised Olwen;  thought the rest of you might want it
as well:
Here it is!!!

I am giving you the recipe to make on in a six inch diameter pot.  If you
want to cook it in a bigger pot, then add about four eggs and more of
everything else

Ingredients
6 to 8 eggs depending on size
4 medium potatoes boiled and broken down but not mashed.  biggest pieces
should not be more than an inch on one side or another
One 12 oz pack of frozen mixed vegetables (no brocolli or cauliflower);  I
use peas and carrots.  corn and/or cut greenbeans are ok, but not the French
cut), and if you want to do the veggies from scratch, more power to you,
just make sure they are not cooked to a mush, and dice them small but not
tiny.
two lemons cut in quarters at serving time

Seasoning

To the well-beaten egg mixture, add salt and pepper to taste, couple pinches
(or more) of paprika, and crushed garlic.  I use a lot, so I wont tell you
how much, but at least three small cloves.  Then beat the eggs again to
teach them who is the boss; but I am getting ahead of myself....
If you want to add herb, then one tablespoon of very finely chopped parsely
is ok.

Preparation

  1.. Cook your potatoes then set them in a bowl to cool
  2.. While the potatoes are cooking, thaw your veggies if you used frozen.
I just put them in a bowl of lukewarm water before opening the bag
  3.. When the potaoes are done, heat the oven to 375
  4.. When the potatos are cool and the veggies thawed and well drained (you
do not want to introduce water into the mix),
  5.. Beat your eggs and add the seasonings as indicated in the seasonings
paragraph.
  6.. Put enough oil into the pot to cover the bottom and then a little
more.  You want it to be displaced up the sides of the pot when you pour in
the egg batter.  Heat it as hot as you can without allowing it to smoke.
This step enables the egg on the side of the pot to cook immediately and
ensures easier removal when done.
  7.. Now slowly mix the veggies into the egg batter, almost folding them
in.
  8.. Now fold in the potatoes
  9.. The oil should be ready.  Carefully, with a spatula at hand, pour the
batter into the pot.  The oil should come sizzling up the sides.  Scrape the
sides of the bowl into the pot so you don't lose any batter.
  10.. Turn the heat down to medium and  leave the pot on the stove top for
about 60 seconds and then xfer to the oven.
  11.. Torte is ready when the top feels springy and a cake-testing pin
comes out clean
  12.. Let it cool completely and then place a dish over the top and upend
it on a counter and let it sit.  It should come out nice and clean.  You can
flip it over using another plate if you want the top to be on top and
especially if you lost any from the bottom because it stuck in the pot.  No
one will see it!
  13.. When you are ready to serve, garnish the center with a few sprigs of
crisp fresh parsley and surround the edge of the torte with your lemon
quarters and encourage your guests to squeeze a few drops on their portion.
Note
Do not cover the pot
If the handle of your pot is wood or plastic or any kind of potentially
flammable material, be sure to cover it completely in foil and squeeze the
foil tightly aorund it.