[Sca-cooks] welsh names

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Fri Jan 9 07:10:50 PST 2004

This just in from my Welsh Learners' list which I thought might interest
some.  I, for one am happy that I do not have to change my name as the use
of the patronymic did not fall out until the 18th century.  So Angharad
ferch Iorwerth it shall remain!

>And now for the question... ok, men's long version patronymic in Welsh
>would be something like Owain ap Rhys ap Robat ap Gruffudd ap Ioan. What
>would a woman's be? Something like Nerys ferch Owain ap Rhys ap Robat ap
>Gruffudd?

I asked the family historian here - who reached into her store of marvels
and produced the file attached below.

In the part of Wales concerned, although ap/ab and ferch fell
out of use by the 18th century, patronymics themselves continued
until the early 19th century, in some cases.

It seems to me that your baptismal name was regarded as your "own" name,
and the remainder was descriptive information (recitation of your descent,
and/or your place of birth/residence) added to identify you depending on the
circumstances and needs of the particular context.

And, for you, my Lady Olwen, since you asked, here is the official name of
the list:

ClwbMaluCachu at yahoogroups.com

I put the caps there, but you dont need them when searching for the group.
It is a good list and welsh is not a requirement, tho there are some that
whine now and then when we get into extended thread in English.  It's really
more about things Welsh, tho most members either native speakers or learning
Welsh and at many levels of profficiency. Malu means to mince and cachu is
shit and the Welsh are said to be a people who do not mince words.
Angharad