[Sca-cooks] Moroccan preserved lemon recipe

vicki shaw vhsjvs at gis.net
Fri Jan 9 14:53:11 PST 2004

okay, fair enough, Stefan.  I need to hone my recipe writing skills.
Thanks Anhahita for answering the questions before I could get to them; I
was out all afternoon and only just now got to my emai!.
But I will still put in my two cents worth to answer Stefan's questions....

The filling of the jar with boiled water is to sterilize it.  when you have
done that it is ready for the lemons to be placed inside the jar, one by
one, from the bottom up [duh!], layering them as you go.

When all the lemons have been cut and filled with salt and are in the jar,
then you make juice out of the remaining uncut lemons.  That is why I said
to get 12 to fifteen lemons.  If they are small, 10-12 may very well fit in
the jar, so you need xtra.

No, you do not fill up the jar with lemon juice since the salt will draw out
the juice from the lemons to yield that nice syrup.  The jar will never be
full of syrup, but you can fill the jar to the half-way mark with juice if
you like, no problem!

Just dont'r forget to periodically upend the jar so the lemons at the top
can bathe in the juice.

I only put the diced rind into the salad because I have seen some people
pucker up when  they landed a chunk of the pulp in their mouth.  Me, I love
it!  But the pulp adds up in the jar over time if I take it out for salad,
and then when I make blended sauces in my mini-cuisinart, I fish for a
tablspoon or so of the pulpy pieces from the jar and throw them in - sans
pips - with the rest of my sauce ingredients.

As Anhahita mentioned, you can google moroccan recipes that use the lemons,
and both of us, I am sure will be willing to help you with more ideas or if
you dont feel like searching the internet but need something right away.  I
know sometimes I just dont have the patience to spend hours and hours
searching!!!
Angharad!!!