[Sca-cooks] Looking for Crab recipes

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Jan 11 09:24:51 PST 2004

In a message dated 1/11/2004 12:16:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
adamantius at verizon.net writes:

<<My theory, for lack of a better one, is that almond oil is _the_
perfect waterproofing material for rice, and that rice to be cooked
in almond milk either needs to be precooked in water or stock first,
or bruised or pulverized in some way to speed up the process.>>

Hmm.  There's a recipe called Ryse of Fish Day in, I think, Forme of Cury,
which calls for rice to be cooked in almond milk made with water, and it's
worked quite successfully for us, in feast quantities.
Yes, it is Forme of Cury:  Blanch almonds and grind him, and draw him up with
water. Wash the rice clean, and do thereto "sugar roche" and salt; let him be
standing.  Frye almonds brown, and flourish it therewith, or with sugar.

The only recipes I've seen that start with "wash rice clean" are for raw rice.

We've also faked a sort of Rice of flesh by throwing ground almonds into the
cooking broth, while the rice was cooking, rather than steeping the almonds
seperately in a small amount of the broth and adding it in before serving, as
the recipe actually says to do.

Brangwayna