[Sca-cooks] Looking for Crab recipes

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Jan 11 20:13:45 PST 2004

> My theory, for lack of a better one, is that almond oil is _the_
> perfect waterproofing material for rice, and that rice to be cooked
> in almond milk either needs to be precooked in water or stock first,
> or bruised or pulverized in some way to speed up the process. Maybe
> it was extremely hard or soft water, I don't know. What I do know is
> that rice, even in quantity, shouldn't take two hours to cook in
> plenty of liquid and a heat range providing between a full, rolling
> boil to a steady simmer all that time. And just as obviously, the
> longer you cook it, the greater the likelihood that it'll burn.

Oh, dear. I'm not sure what went wrong with the rice on that occasion
(though it meant more shellfish for me, since I scavenged lots of plates!)
But I do know that I have made the rice pudding with almond milk for a
breadfast. It did cook, but it did take rather longer than other people in
the kitchen expected it to-- but they may have been expecting me to be
starting with cooked rice, which I didn't.

My personal theory is that the kitchens in which the blancmanger was
cooked were cursed, and that the stove on which my almond-milk rice
pudding was cooked, being one I have worked with at events for a long
time, didn't dare to be contrary with me standing over it and cursing. :)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens
can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
-- Margaret Mead