[Sca-cooks] breaded pork shish-kabobs?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 09:16:53 PST 2004

>Hi there
<<<<<<<<<big ol snip>>>>>>>>>>

>Pan fry to brown and then pack into a roasting pan.  The kabobs must be
>standing on their skewers and be upright.  This way any fat will run to the
>bottom and pool around the skewers not the kabob itself.
>
>Bake in a moderate oven for 1.5 to 2 hours.  Remove and serve.
>
>Marina

Did this come from a chinese recipe book?  I only ask because the chinese
seem to have a thing for hanging meat (usually pork) in the oven.  It
actually cooks so much better that way.  I have a recipe that I have kinda
warped around a bit for chinese spare ribs.  When I see slabs of ribs on
sale cheap I will pick them up because these ribs have gotten so popular at
our Baronial hospitality table.  I post my version of the recipe here:

Mix together, heat then cool:
one or two cans of chicken broth
half a jar or more of black garlic bean paste
half a jar or more of hosin sauce
one cup soy sauce or more if you like
Chop 3 or 4 scallions and toss in the cooling sauce

I place the slabs in a large rinsed trash bag and set that a big pan (in
case of leaks) then I pour the cooled sauce over the meat and refrigerate.
I move all the slabs around and turn the whole mess over several times a day
for a couple days (because of the volume).  Then I take the whole bag to a
friends who has a *real* oven (I only have to portable convection ovens
which aren't tall enough), place a large cookie sheet on the floor of the
oven and remove all the racks and preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  In the
meanwhile I insert S hooks (3 or 4 depending on size of slab) into the meaty
edge of the slab and hang the slabs side by side but not touching from one
rack that is placed in to topmost position of the oven.  They cook at that
temp for about 10 to 15 minutes then turn the oven down to around 350
degrees for another hour or so, depending on how much meat you are cooking.
I don't cut them until serving.  Then I blink and they are all gone.

Since I marinate 3 or 4 or more slabs at once the quantities will sound
wonkie and you may have to adjust.