[Sca-cooks] Needing help with... Breakfast quantaties

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 12 15:36:16 PST 2004

This sounds exactly like what we serve for breakfast in my reenactment
group.

If you are not serving anything else, you should need:

Oatmeal -- 1 pound serves 8 to 10. Old Wessex brand quick cooking Irish
Style Oatmeal is very good, and doesn't take long to fix in quantity, though
it is more expensive than plain oats.
Remember to have cream, or at least half-and-half, and honey or sugar.
It would be nice to provide almond or soy milk for the dairy-intolerant.
Non-dairy creamer is lactose-free, but not casein-free, so it doesn't work
for those with protein allergies.
Bacon -- 1 pound (American) should serve 6 to 8, although people have a
tendency to eat bacon until it's gone, no matter how much you fix. I like
Hormel Black Label, which is available at Sam's Club in 3-pound packages.
Scrambled Eggs -- 1 dozen serves 6 to 8
Bread -- 1 pound usually serves 8 to 10, though people may not eat that much
bread if there's porridge.
Butter -- surprisingly, I have found that people eat way less butter than
any cook thinks, so if you allow 1 tablespoon per person you should have
plenty = 1 pound serves 32
Jam -- also allow about 1 tablespoon per person, so a 1 cup jar serves 16.
For 50, I would recommend having 1 cup each of 3 different kinds.
Remember to have some kind of beverage, too -- apple juice is popular and
inexpensive, 1/2 gallon serves 8.

Cynara