[Sca-cooks] cooking rice

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 15:57:01 PST 2004

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius wrote:
> But ultimately, all of the people I've met in my life who have
> claimed an inability to get Arborio properly cooked, have invariably
> added too much liquid at one time, and not stirred it in properly, so
> it becomes overcooked, soggy pilaf, instead of being al dente grains
> in a creamy substrate/sauce.

I think we agree, then :)

The point I was trying to make (and apparently didn't quite) was that usual
cooking practice of dumping a bunch of liquid on top of a bunch of rice and
simmering until done just doesn't work at all with varieties like arborio.
They demand a little more care and feeding.

I'm also familiar with the restaurant pilaf-style of risotto you mention,
and I don't particularly care for the versions I've tried, as.I don't think
the texture is comparable to doing it the old-fashioned way (which,
unfortunately, tends to rule out this wonderful dish for larger gatherings).

-Lorenz