[Sca-cooks] Preserved Foods

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:58:30 PST 2004

>OK, as if i'm not doing enough already, i am now the Deputy Silver Spoon.
>The Silver Spoon is the cooking competition in the Principality of the
>Mists (in the Kingdom of the West) held at our four main events each year.
>
>The Minister and i have come up with the competitions for the coming year.
>
>One - in the fall - will be for Preserved Foods.
>
>I'm thinking of mustards, compost, pickles, jams, and such.
>
>I am not looking for specific recipes or sources, although those are nice,
>but i would like to know what other sorts of preserved foods are period.
>I'm sure the above only scratches the surface...
>
>Thanks,
>Anahita

Beets.  Somewhere or other I found a really nice period recipe for pickled
beets which called for also adding caraway seeds.  I have made this and it
has been very well recieved, except for our current Baron who hates beets.
Now how often do you have to be told you don't like something?  Chirhart and
I made up some really nice sliced "beets" and Hans made up a wonderful
sauce....needless to say, he ate some and shared with the hall.
Olwen