[Sca-cooks] Preserved Foods

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 05:02:07 PST 2004

Part of the preserving process is excluding the air, so directions I've seen
often say to put a weight on the pickled items, to keep them under the
pickle (no air), or for sweet preserves to put a piece of paper covering the
surface and alcohol on top of that (no air), before sealing the container.
You can use a pig's bladder to seal, since it becomes airtight as it dries,
or put wax around the cork to seal bottles.  But yes, when preserving isn't
done properly, bacteria develop; that's why you start learning food-related
skills early on so you can do it correctly.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.