[Sca-cooks] OOP Bugs was:International recipe site

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Jan 15 09:58:05 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Dear, high thee to Stefan's Florilegium. I can't remember where it is, but
> there's a file in there that covers exactly these recipes, and yes
> Virginia, there really is a recipe for Bull's Penis. There was an extended
> conversation on this list about the Bull Penis and Sheep's Testicles-
which
> if I remember right, was served at a cooks gathering at Pennsic, yes?
> Phlip, weren't you there?
>
> 'Lainie

Yeah- I taught the butchering class that provided the various parts.

What happened, Angarhad, was that I taught a class at Pennsic, in taking a
lamb from on the hoof into edible cuts, and we served most of the lamb at
the Knowne Worlde Cook's Potluck. We gave the easier cuts of meat to the
less experienced cooks, and made the more exotic cuts into various period
dishes by more experienced cooks. The people who loaned us their farm to do
the butchering (Coopers don't allow slaughtering on site) had dug a big hole
for the offal, and were quite surprised whan all that was left over were a
couple handfuls of connective tissue.

Badger made a real haggis, I made a recipe using the brains (camew out
rather like brains in Hollandaise sauce), and Ras used a recipe for
testicles, The rest of the animal got parted out- I gave the lower legs to
someone who wanted then for knuckle bones, gave the wool to someone else,
and salted down the hide for later tanning. The rest of the muscle meat went
towards more standard recipes.

Mistess Christianna's expertise with dealing with trimming the cuts once
they were in rough form came in handy, so we had really nicely trimmed parts
for various people- anyone else want to mention what they made?

I'd like to do it again some time, but Gunthar has forbidden me to discuss
it on the List because Someone (who was jealous of the situation)
complained, so if I do do it, I'll make it known elsewhere.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.