[Sca-cooks] Organ meat, was OOP Bugs was:International recipe site

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Jan 16 12:38:43 PST 2004

Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:

>I have cooked and eaten liver - not a favorite food. However, when i
>was in Germany i had something the name of which i don't exactly
>recall - something like Leben Sauer - which was sort of like
>sauerbrauten, but made with liver. Now, THAT was good.

Liver's also good with bitter sauces, say, one made with stout or
Angostura bitters. It might even be good with red-eye gravy ;-). I
guess one school of thought is to complement the bitterness of the
meat with a sour sort of opposite flavor, but you can actually make
it seem like, well, like it's supposed to be there, to good effect.

>Kidneys... well, if i wanted to eat food out of a urinal i would...

Hot button. I was with you up till that one. Where do people think
kidneys got that urine from, and where did it go from there? If one
is so turned off by urine in contact with food that's subsequently
been washed and cooked, at that point one might as well be a
vegetarian, because anything that's been in contact with the animal's
bloodstream is essentially urine-treif. As for the claim that kidneys
taste of urine, that's pretty silly. How much urine have the people
making that claim tasted, and if any, why do most acids taste sour
while uric acid, if it's the predominant flavor of kidneys, does not?
Same for smell. You wash the meat; some like to marinate it in milk
or salted water, but while they have an aroma, it isn't the aroma of
urine. I wonder how one would set up a blind aroma test?

Now, if one simply gave them an honest try and decided they were a
little livery (they usually are) or were overcooked and a bit rubbery
(again, a frequent problem, but not exclusive to kidneys), that would
be one thing, but I think some people, if you put a bite of
medium-rare porterhouse steak in their mouths, they'd like it until
you told them it was kidney, at which point they'd start telling you
all about the smell, and complain of urine.

>Tripe - not on my list of edible foods. I've eaten it cooked by
>Mexicans, Thai, French, and Peruvians - just to make sure i didn't
>have a mental prejudice. I don't. I just dislike the texture.

Many people do. Chinese preparations sometimes include a marination
overnight with a pinch of baking soda, which tenderizes it to the
point where it can be stir-fried from its raw state. The texture is a
little like that of conch or squid, then. I also like some of the
French tripe recipes that involve a par-boiling and then frying it.
When people use "French" and "tripe" in the same sentence they
usually mean "a la mode du Caen" (an allegedly period dish, by the
way), and that stuff is overcooked even by most French standards.
Fresh, it tastes canned ;-).

>I'm not a big organ meat eater, but i try to make sure it isn't just mental...

I'm not big on eyes. Yep. It's mental. But I don't care...

Adamantius