[Sca-cooks] hanging meat - Sausage question

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sat Jan 17 08:58:37 PST 2004

Also sprach Barbara Benson:
>OK, this brings up something I have been wondering about. I have been
>wanting to experiment with period sausages but the drying/curing time has
>been givint me fits of paranoia about making people sick. It makes sense to
>me what you said above, but I don't see how it would work with ground up
>meat in a casing.
>
>Specifically I have been looking at Welserin (big suprise):
>
>23 If you would make a good sausage for a salad
>Then take ten pounds of pork and five pounds of beef, always two parts pork
>to one part of beef. That would be fifteen pounds. To that one should take
>eight ounces of salt and two and one half ounces of pepper, which should be
>coarsely ground, and when the meat is chopped, put into it at first two
>pounds of bacon, diced. According to how fat the pork is, one can use less
>or more, take the bacon from the back and not from the belly. And the
>sausages should be firmly stuffed. The sooner they are dried the better.
>Hang them in the parlor or in the kitchen, but not in the smoke and not near
>the oven, so that the bacon does not melt. This should be done during the
>crescent moon, and fill with the minced meat well and firmly, then the
>sausages will remain good for a long while. Each sausage should be tied
>above and below and also fasten a ribbon on both ends with which they should
>be hung up, and every two days they should be turned, upside down, and when
>they are fully dried out, wrap them in a cloth and lay them in a box.
>
>I always thoughtthe curing of sausage involved salt, heat, smoking or
>something but here she specificaly says to avoid heat and smoke. So how is
>this preserved and why won't it just rot?

There are a couple of things to remember which the recipe doesn't go
into, but which almost certainly apply. The first is that hog
slaughtering in that part of Europe is probably happening in the late
autumn (I don't remember the details, but I think Le Menagier
mentions some time in late November). The point is, it's cold
outside. It's also worth noting that there's no central heating, so
kitchens probably didn't get all that hot in the winter unless you're
near a cooking fire or an oven. Kitchens, lacking some of the
labor-saving devices we're accustomed to, also tended to be pretty
spacious, especially for a wealthy family like the Welsers.

The recipe states that you make this during the crescent moon. Again,
presumably during a cool month; I don't know how this works, but I
imagine there either is, or was believed to be, some idea that the
weather was connected with the phase of the moon, since such
references show up all the time in agricultural writings, and even in
the modern Farmers' Almanac. It gives weights of the ingredients, and
calls for just under 3% salt, which is roughly the same as the
one-tablespoon-per-pound-of-meat rule commonly found in many modern
sausage recipes. Not too shabby. It also says to stuff the sausages
firmly (which also could be said to mean tightly to exclude air), and
that the sooner they're dried, the better. Duh! ;-) It goes on to say
not to hang them in the smoke or near the oven (smoke-flavored food
may have been considered a bad thing by some, maybe a low-class thing
suggesting you have a badly-tended fire or have to hang up your meats
in the fireplace, having no other place -- interesting contrast to
Plat, who in one sausage recipe specifically suggests it, but then
he's a bourgoise Londoner, and possibly had less room to work), the
idea being to prevent the fat from melting/rendering in the heat.
This also, obviously, limits the ambient temperature to some extent.
I really think Sabina is counselling us to keep these in a cool, dry
place, the total effect being to keep them as cool as possible while
still drying them out as fast as possible, in order to limit
bacterial growth and safely preserve the food in the best manner
possible.  She also gives some detail on the care with which they
should be tied, suggests they be turned frequently (which both
redistributes any free fluids that you want to dry out, and exposes
any areas not previously exposed, to the air), and then take care to
store them in a dry place.

If you look at a modern sausage recipe for something intended for
keeping, like, say, Argentine chorizo (note that beef is often
included in such recipes along with pork, very possibly because it is
considered to dry more easily), there's usually a similar amount of
salt and careful instructions on how to tie and hang them. The main
difference, apart from the occasional chemical addition of things
like saltpeter, is that, while Sabina's instructions imply a
temperature limit, modern recipes instruct us in detail, laying
numbers right on the line. But in the end, if you follow Sabina's
instructions with some understanding of what she means, and why she
says what she says, you end up with results that are largely the same
as, and about as safe as, what you'd get from a modern recipe.

I usually work with period sausage recipes, but bearing in mind as
much as possible everything I've learned from modern sausage recipes:
the attention to cleanliness, the salt percentages, and the storage
temperature, ideally in a well-ventilated place at a temperature
above freezing, but well below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. 45 degrees F is
a pretty good target.

Sabina does pretty much state that _if_ you follow her instructions
carefully, they'll keep for a long time. She doesn't say, but I think
it's implicit, that if you _don't_ follow them, things could be very
different ;-)

Adamantius

You might cheat and sort of look at the process in an accelerated
manner, to see what to look for: pick up some fresh, raw sausages and
dry them in a food dehydrator, turning them occasionally.