[Sca-cooks] Food Movies Revisited

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Jan 18 13:05:03 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

I've been refining the list,
> I've got it broken down into sections like "Food Movies", "One or two
> memorable food scenes", "Food in Scarcity", "Documentary", "TV", and
> "Books".  I haven't really fleshed out the books section, but I know we've
> talked about books that center on food prep (usually around murder
> mysteries, it seems), at this point, I've only got two titles, but then I
> have been focusing on movies, like I said.
> Christianna

Well, don't forget Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe. Here's a url to his complete
writings.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8907/nero.html#adir

Grated, food is rarely the main theme of his stories, it still tends to
figure prominantly in most of the stories. A few though, like "Too Many
Cooks" are great.

Some might say the stories and the writing are dated, but truthfully, I
enjoy being pulled into the earlier part of the last century ;-) Don't get
Rex Stout;s Cookbook, though- he wrote about food considerably better than
he constructed recipes.

Another series I've been meaning to get into is one that Margali keeps
leaving in the bathroom and causing to vanish, so that I've never managed to
swipe one to read- they're written by Diane Mott Davidson (just found "Dying
for Chocolate"- grabbing it before it disappears again ;-) Also has titles
such as "Catering to Nobody", "The Cereal Murders", "The Last Suppers" and
"Killer Pancake".

Another series that is outstanding from the POV of a foodie, IMO, is "The
Cat Who..." series- not so much from what Qwilleran eats, although he
mentions some interesting meals, but more, from my POV, what he feeds his
owners, those demanding cats ;-) _I_ should eat so well ;-)

Like many SCAdians, my favorite reading material is Fantasy and Science
Fiction, but I also dearly love a good mystery or historical novel.

Maybe you Brits on the List can answer me a question. In Dick Francis'
various horse mysteries, his heroes tend to eat what seems to me to be
absolutely the most unappetizing foods I've ever seen in books. Is that a
normal Brit diet, or is he simply culinarily uninspired?

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.