[Sca-cooks] Blueberry/ Gooseberry Wine Documentation?

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Mon Jan 19 02:46:39 PST 2004

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius <adamantius at verizon.net> [2004.01.19] wrote:
> The first thing that comes to [my] mind is to wonder whether either
> of these berry juices have enough sugars on their own to make a
> palatable and stable fermented product. I don't know about bilberry
> juice (you might also look under blaeberry, but the blueberries we

Fresh bilberries (Vaccinium myrtillus) are 87% water, 506 g/kg
glucose/fructose, and 13 g/kg saccarose (both of the latter are for dry
weight). This is from Swedish samples, and sugar levels often vary
significantly depending on the latitude grown.

I've heard anecdotal reports that they can ferment, but nothing that
even resembles firm data or reliable reports.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org