[Sca-cooks] Blueberry/ Gooseberry Wine Documentation?

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jan 19 07:09:27 PST 2004

> This is not to say that the Spanish were not indulging in the sugar plantation enterprise in the 1500's...
>  Indeed by the late 16th century the spanish were trading shiploads of
>sugar out of both Puerto Rico and the Canary Islands, which cargos were
>rich prizes for French and English privateers.
> But these efforts were nowhere near the scale that later came to
>dominate the Carribean. the bulk of the Spanish and Portuguese effort in
>the new world was in the extraction of Silver and some Gold from the
>Americas.

Actually, it was, according to Dalby, not long after 1700 that the crash
in the price of sugar came.

Up to that point, sugar was very popular _in cooking_ while I don't see a
lot of documentation for it in the few brewins sources. While it was used
as a spice it was also used medicinally, in syrups, candied things,
confects, and so forth.

The big boom in booze-related sugar use probably came later, when the
price dropped like a stone.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens
can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
-- Margaret Mead