[Sca-cooks] Blueberry/ Gooseberry Wine Documentation?

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Mon Jan 19 19:22:19 PST 2004

> >De Nola mentions sour pomegranate wine ("vino de granadas agras" -- wine
made from sour pomegranates).  That would certainly require added sugar to
ferment, but sugar was much more available in Spain than in England. >
>OTOH, he mentions it as an ingredient in a sauce.  I have not seen it
listed as a beverage in either of the two Spanish dietary manuals I've read.
It may have been only used as a cooking wine.
> >Brighid ni Chiarain *** mka Robin Carroll-Mann

> Is it possible that "vino" is being used loosely for an unfermented fruit
juice? Pomegranate juice (both sweet and sour) is mentioned in  the 13th c.
Andalusian Manuscrito Anonimo.
> David/Cariadoc

    I myself was wondering if the "vino de granadas agras" is really
fermented juice {wine} or more a description of the juice condensed  -- like
the bottle of "pomogrante molasses" in my cupboard.  It is not sweet, rather
quite tart,  and simply pomogrante juice that has been condensed to a  thick
syrup.

Caointiarn